Shhhhh...

Shhhhh...
Just being quiet

Monday, December 5, 2011

A Grandmother's Touch...

My favorite ornament from my Babcia

A few years ago...five, to be exact
My Grandmother sent me a care package, lovingly packed
"For Christmas" it said..."Never too soon"
"For Christmas" it said...Christmas?  But it's only June!

I put the box aside to explore another day
I must have moved it a hundred times that summer, it kept getting in my way
The summer faded and soon it was fall
To be honest, it had been awhile since I thought of that box at all

Goblin season and Thanksgiving came and went
I had written out all my Christmas cards and they too had been sent
Our tree had been readied and awaited some flair
Then I saw the box, it sat quietly in the corner, next to the rocking chair

I pulled it closer to see what it had in store
Tissue paper...I counted 14 layers or more
Nestled deep inside were mini packages, too many to count
I freed them from the depths of the box and started laying them out

Beaded ornaments, that's what my Grandmother had sent
"Before I'm too old, before my fingers get too bent"
She had fashioned beautiful ornaments as if knitting
"I made these while I was thinking...thinking and sitting"

I called my Grandmother and thanked her that day
I promised her I would use them to decorate our tree right away
Each year since then our tree has used more and more
And each year our tree looks even lovelier than the year before

My Grandmother passed away this summer, she was eighty-nine, plus three hundred, sixty four
And I knew when Christmas came, I would need to mourn once more
With every beautiful ornament I held and placed upon our tree
I remembered everything...my Grandmother meant to me

No comments:

Post a Comment